Sunday, September 10, 2017

Quarter 2 Review - 1/8



Quarter 2 will be a bit shorter than usual because there was a period of about a month in which I didn’t listen to any audio drama (sad, I know).  Without any further ado . . .

001 Historical Drama – New

Some episodes of Tommies succeed better than others. SPOILERS!! I thought, at first, listening to “17 April 1917” by Nick Warburton, that this was going to be one of the lesser ones.  At first I thought the authorial voice was intruding too much, and I didn’t see what was the point of the woman who had come from India to find her husband in a serious condition in hospital and the rather rambunctious telegrapher who was coming to see her brother.  Quite far into the narrative, I put two and two together, and realized they were both there to see Mickey Bliss.  His son was there as well; he hadn’t seen his sister in 12 years and his wife and son in about 4.  I had honestly forgotten Mickey was married (all I could remember was the grand affair with Celestine de Tullio that wasn’t).  However, about halfway through this episode became probably the most heart-breaking one I’ve heard.  Much as I have been grimacing due to gore from previous episodes, on the Tube and on the train, in this one I think I was walking around Eccles with my headphones on and my mouth open in shock.  Mickey was deaf!  OMG!  Fortunately, after the ministrations of a clever doctor and nurse, who figures out that Mickey is suffering psychosomatically from deafness, a fake operation makes Mickey think he’s been “cured.”  It was a brilliant episode.

No comments:

Post a Comment